Federal, State, & Institutional Grants/Scholarships

There are many grant opportunities available to undergraduate and graduate students. Grants are gift assistance to students to pay educational expenses, with no obligation for monetary repayment. Some grants are based on financial need, others are based on academic achievement or merit, and some require a combination of criteria. Each grant has its own fulfillment criteria, application requirements and deadlines.

Some of the grants available include the following:

The Federal Pell Grant provides funds to eligible undergraduate and Teacher Credential students pursuing a first bachelor's degree or teaching credential. Pell Grants are awarded to eligible students without regard to priority filing date. The Pell Grant amount is based on your EFC and enrollment for the academic school year. Pell Grant awards are reduced if you enroll in less than 12 units per semester, including Summer.

*As of the 24/25 academic year, the SAI and Enrollment Intensity determines the Pell Grant Award amount each semester*
Enrollment status Full Time 3/4 Time Half Time Less than Half Time
Number of Units 12 or more units 9 - 11.99 units 6 - 8.99 units Less than 6 units

Lifetime Eligibility Usage (LEU) for Pell Grant

Regulations effective July 1, 2012 limit the receipt of a Pell Grant to a lifetime limit of up to 6 full-time years (600%). This includes community colleges, vocational schools and four year public and private universities. This limit will be tracked by the U.S. Department of Education. Students can review their  percentage by logging in to  and navigating to, "My Aid."  

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG) are awarded to eligible undergraduate Pell Grant recipients with exceptional need.

You can receive between $100 and $1,200 per school year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds.

Eligible full-time undergraduates admitted through the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) may receive EOP Grant funds. Students with EOP admission questions may contact Educational Opportunity Program Office at (510) 885-3751.

The State University Grant (SUG) assists with California State University (CSU) tuition fees. SUG is not available to students enrolled in special session or students whose tuition fees are paid by Cal Grant, tuition waivers or other programs that pay tuition fees.

Eligibility Criteria: 

  • Must be a California Resident
  • Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 units undergraduate/credential and 4 units graduate level);
  • Priority awarding is given to students who have submitted their FAFSA/CADAA by March 2 (the priority deadline is May 2 for the 24/25 academic year)
  • Tuition and fees are not paid by another state resource  (Cal Grant, Institutional Waiver, etc).
  • Students pursuing a second bachelor's, second credential, or second master's degree are not eligible for the SUG. The CSU will only fund the first degree.

Additional Guidelines:

CSU policy limits the length of time for receipt of the SUG. All students must meet the following guidelines to be eligible for a SUG award:

  • Students cannot have accumulated more than 150 semester or 225 quarter units earned in their CSU undergraduate careers;
  • Undergraduate transfer students cannot accumulate more than 75 semester or 113 quarter earned units while enrolled at a CSU campus;
  • Teacher and credential students cannot accumulate more than 30 earned units.
  • Graduate students cannot exceed more than 125% earned units of the required program length. For example: If a MS program is 60 units, a student may receive SUG funding for up to 75 units.
  • Students who are considered 'self-support,' who do not pay the State University Fee are not eligible.
Certain units, including advanced placement, international baccalaureate, military credit, and pre-baccalaureate credit and credit by examination will not count against the maximum allowable units.

Cal Grant A

At the California State University, the Cal Grant A assists with tuition fees. This grant is for undergraduate students who are California residents. Cal Grant A cannot exceed the current tuition fees. 

If the student's tuition fees are paid by another state resources (e.g. fee waivers, Vocational Rehabilitation, etc) they will not be eligible to receive fee payment from a Cal Grant. Students must notify the Financial Aid Office if registration fees are paid by any third party.

Grant eligibility will be adjusted from the first day of class through the last day to add/drop (2 weeks after class starts) for each term.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B provides a living allowance and tuition fee assistance. Awards for most first-year students are limited to an allowance of up to $1,672 for books and living expenses. When renewed or awarded beyond the freshman year, the award also helps pay for tuition fees. The awards for tuition fees are the same as those for Cal Grant A. Cal Grant B pays only an allowance amount for the first year awards, and allowance and tuition fees for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year recipients.

There are two Cal Grant B awards: Entitlement and Competitive.

  • Every graduating high school senior who has at least a 2.0 GPA, meets the financial and eligibility requirements and applies on time will receive a Cal Grant B Entitlement award.
  • Other eligible students who have at least a 2.0 GPA may apply for a Cal Grant B Competitive award.
  • Selection is based on a composite score that takes into consideration your family's income, parents' educational level, GPA, time out of high school and other factors, such as whether you come from a single-parent household or are a former foster youth.

View  for additional information or review the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) !


Cal Grant A/B*

* 24/25 Academic Year Amounts will be updated in August 2024*

Enrollment Amount
Full Time (12+ units) $5,742 ($2,871 per semester)
Three Quarter's Time (9-11.99 units) $4,306 ($2,153 per semester)
Half Time (6-8.99 units) $2,872 ($1,436 per semester)
Less than half time (1-5.99 units) Ineligible


Cal Grant B Access Award
Enrollment Amount
Full Time (12+ units) $1,672 ($836 per semester)
Three Quarter's Time (9-11.99 units) $1,254 ($627 per semester)
Half Time (6-8.99 units) $836 ($418 per semester)
Less than half time (1-5.99 units) Ineligible


Notice to Dreamers:

Please make sure your first and last name on your California Dream Act Application (CADAA) matches the name on your Admissions application. If your names do not match, your award may be delayed. If you need to update your name or any other personal data on either application, please contact:

  1. Admissions Application Updates: contact CSUEB's Records Department to correct your names/DOB/Application ID to match that of what was submitted in the CADAA.
  2. CADAA Updates: contact CSAC () to correct your names to match that of what was submitted to the university.

For more information please contact the CSUEB Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships at finaid@csueastbay.edu.

The provides undergraduate students, including students pursuing a teaching credential, with a scholarship to attend a University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campus for up to 4 years based on their eligibility as determined by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).

Students must meet all the following requirements:

  • be a California resident attending a UC or CSU;
  • be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or meet the requirements for non-resident tuition exemption;
  • meet certain income/asset and other financial aid standards;
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress;
  • not be in default on a student loan; and
  • must not be incarcerated.

Generally, beginning on October 1st through the March 2nd deadline, students may complete a  or the . Students without a Social Security Number or who have a U or TPS visa or DACA (including those who lost DACA or never applied for DACA), should complete the CADAA. After students submit the FAFSA/ CADAA, they are encouraged to establish a  account to monitor their state financial aid. The WebGrants 4 Students website is secure and provides easy access to review their awarding status.


Students selected to receive an MCS award will be notified by the CSAC, usually between the end of August through the middle of September. CSUEB anticipates that the MCS funding for the Fall 2024 semester will be posted after the census date, therefore we advise students to plan accordingly.

If you are expecting additional aid during during the school year and are an MCS recipient, the funding is subject to a reduction. 

Example: Student has received an MCS award for the Fall 2024 semester. Thereafter, the student is awarded a departmental/external scholarship. CSUEB is required to report the aid changes to CSAC and the MCS will be recalculated (reduced). This MCS reduction may result in a balance. 


Estimated Middle Class Scholarship

The Estimated MCS is based on your FAFSA/CADAA and your initial submission of GPA information. This is pending verification of the information that you submitted on your Financial Aid and Admissions application. Note that amounts are subject to change depending on the accuracy of the information submitted, units of enrollment, cost of attendance, other available gift aid, self-help student contribution amount determined by the State, and if applicable, parent contribution for dependent students with a household income of over $100,000.

At this moment, you cannot accept the Estimated Aid. Estimated MCS funds will not be made official until all data has been verified and we are able to guarantee your eligibility with the state. Please note that this timeline is subject to change and that although you may receive a notice from the state department regarding your eligibility there are additional steps in the administrative process that are required from them to validate your eligibility and that it can take time to receive your aid. Please plan accordingly. Please also note that the final amount will be authorized for disbursement after the term census date which can fall after the payment deadline for the semester. 

Monitor your CSAC to get the most updated information on your MCS eligibility. 

If you are expecting additional aid during the school year and you are an MCS recipient, please note that your MCS will be subject to a reduction. 

For more information about Middle Class Scholarship, please visit the .

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant provides up to $4,000 per year, depending on units of enrollment (set yearly by the Department of Education and according to yearly sequestration requirements. ) to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.Eligible teacher credential students may be awarded after they sign an Agreement to Serve on .   If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education (ED), with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid out).

The TEACH Grant annual limit is prorated based on a student's enrollment status for both graduate and undergraduate students as follows:

  • Full time - $4,000 or net - $3,772
  • Three-quarter time - $3,000 or net $2,828
  • Half time - $2000 or net $1,886

(The disbursements are reduced by the sequestration amount in effect for the award year. )

A student may receive up to $16,000 in TEACH Grants for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate study, and up to $8,000 for a TEACH Grant-eligible master’s degree program. 

A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds, be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.